I’m going to go ahead and throw me dear husband completely under the Dessert Truck; Keith made me make a key lime pie today. More like, we were at the grocery store and they actually had Key Limes. Therefore, I was obligated to make a Key Lime Pie.
It should noted that it’s an absolute miracle that he even wants to try a Key Lime Pie made by me considering how dreadful the first Key Lime I made him was. The gist of the story is that, as we all know, baking is not my forte. When we were first dating Keith mentioned that his favorite dessert was Key Lime Pie. Naturally, I called my mom for her recipe. She told me to get CONDENSED milk. That’s where things got tricky. I purcahsed – and used – EVAPORATED milk instead. Basically, I ended up making a Key Lime Quiche. It was awful. But he at least took 1 bite.
Ever since the Key Lime Quiche incident, I’ve been looking to redeem myself in the Key Lime department. I have finally gotten the best pie recipe down, adapted from Dinosaur BBQ in New York.
- 9 Graham Crackers
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 7 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 C fresh squeezed lime juice- about 25 key limes
- 1.5 teaspoons lime zest
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks, scrambled
- Preheat oven to 350
- Process graham crackers through process to create fine dust. If you don't have a food processor, put graham crackers in plastic bag and beat with meat mallet until finely crushed
- add graham crackers, sugar, and cinnamon to bowl and mix well
- pour butter into dry mixture and mix
- press crust into botton and up sides of pie pan with fork
- Mix condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice, and lime zest in bowl
- Once mixed, pour over crust
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until crust is browned and filling is set
- Can store in refrigerator for up to 4 days...though ours never lasts that long. 😉