If you’re like me, your earliest memories with broccoli might bring back feelings of disgust and images of sad, soggy broccoli drowning in cheese sauce…it’s not a pleasant thought. The only broccoli I tried as a child other than that just described was SUPER bland and boring, blanched broccoli that needed an excessive amount of salt and butter to be edible.
These days, I’ve gained a whole new appreciation for broccoli and I can attribute most of this appreciation to pairing broccoli with lemon. This is by no means groundbreaking but I’ve met JUST ENOUGH people who claim to HATE broccoli that I feel like I need to share how AMAZING it really can be.
The secret to this recipe is two things: lemon and garlic. With the right amount of lemon juice and zest and sauteed garlic, you will be satisfied eating garlic for every meal to come!
If you liked this you should check out my Facebook The Hungry Mommy and Instagram
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- in a large boiling pot, bring water to a boil
- add broccoli to steaming tray and place in boiling water. If you don't have a steam tray, add broccoli to water
- cook broccoli for 5-8 minutes, until fork tender
- while broccoli is cooking, heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat
- add the minced garlic to the hot oil and cook until browned- do not over cook!
- once broccoli is cooked, remove from water and place in serving bowl
- add olive oil and garlic to bowl with broccoli and mix
- add lemon juice, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste