It seems like every year, in the first week of January, our family comes down with a head cold. We were all feeling great last week and I was really believing that this year we would break the habit and actually be healthy ringing in the New Year….not the case. We all woke up congested and coughing on December 30th and have been on the mend ever since. Needless to say, we have become quite good at adapting our favorite comfort food recipes to be Whole30 compliant. Aside from lots of cuddle and movie time, this Instant Pot Chicken Salsa Soup is one of the best things to have come from these dang colds. If you’re not in to Chicken Soup (first of all, why not!?) check out the rest of my favorite soup and stew recipes!
I love a good one pot meal – especially when we’re sick – because the cleanup is minimal! This recipe is heavy on veggies and chicken broth, a comfort food favorite, and incredibly flavorful. Being from South Texas, any meal with spice is sure to be a favorite in our house. This soup is basically a dump it and forget it recipe which is great when you’re not feeling 100%. Simply chop the veggies, add the chicken, pour the liquid, and forget it!
Let’s talk tools. These are the kitchen tools you will need for this recipe
Instant Pot- this is the model I currently use, but any pressure cooker will work
That’s it! Yes, this recipe can be made with only one special kitchen tool! Don’t you love it already?
- 1 white onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz salsa
- 6 c chicken broth
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1Tbls cumin
- 1Tbls chili powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- cilantro and diced onion or jalapeño for garnish
- Dice white onion, jalapeño, and red bell pepper. Add Chopped veggies to Instant Pot
- Lay 3 lbs chicken breasts directly over veggies
- Pour all of the salsa salsa on top
- Add chicken broth
- Seal instant pot and select manual function. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes
- When timer goes off release pressure manually
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Put shredded chicken back in soup mixture
- Add 2 cans full fat coconut milk and spices
- Cook on Soup function uncovered for an additional 20 minutes stirring often
- These quantities will yield 12 servings. For meal prepping purposes, we typically immediately enjoy 4 servings, reserve 4 servings for the week ahead, and freeze 4 servings for a later date!
I hope you love this recipe as much as our family does! Let me know if you tried it and what you think. You can find me on Facebook The Hungry Mommy, Instagram @that_paleo_mom, and Pinterest The Hungry Mommy! I’ve also started a Facebook Accountability group for anyone on a round called Whole30 Journey Guidance and Support See you there!
This article has affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I will earn commission if you choose to purchase products/services through these links. Please trust that I will not sponsor products/services I have not personally tried and found to have been of high quality and service. The commission from these products help to support The Hungry Mommy brand. Thanks!